Thursday, October 22, 2020

Dark star, done

A personally curated Halloween
playlist by the Breeders!
As noted yesterday, one of the original members of the Pixies exited the group in 2013. Kim Deal left to concentrate on her other band, the Breeders, which of course had massive success in the 90s with their album Last Splash and its hit single "Cannonball." I vividly remember hearing that song almost everywhere I went in 1993, from the mall to the beach to my friends' cars. Guess I know I'm getting old when I find myself wishing pop radio still played stuff like this. Music just isn't what it used to be, by golly! Where are my glasses? Is it time for my mush??

In 2018, the Breeders released All Nerve, their first album in ten years and the first in twenty-five years to feature the classic Last Splash lineup. It's not just nostalgia and retreads, though. The new album is both fun and wistful, and as off-kilter as you'd want and expect The Breeders to be. 

The album's most chilling song, "Walking with a Killer," is a tense tale of traversing a desolate stretch of highway while knowing your companion is plotting your doom. Kim Deal says she was inspired to write it by her own experiences growing up in Dayton, Ohio, and fending off the shouted taunts of jerkwad dudes driving past her as she walked between her house and the store. Certainly glad none of her real life encounters ended the way this song predicts!

No comments:

Post a Comment