Thursday, October 11, 2018

Da doo run-run away!!!

Art by Ben Newman
While one might be tempted to think that yesterday's song, "I Walked with a Zombie," is the only Halloween-worthy doo-wop song ever written, one would find themselves gravely mistaken. In fact, there's a two-disc set called Doo Wop Halloween is a Scream that collects 27 Halloween songs from doo-wop's golden age. On it you'll find the obligatory "Monster Mash," but also lesser-known tunes like "Frankenstein's Den," "I'm in the Ground for Good," and today's song, "My Baby Likes Scary Movies" by Pete and the Bloodsuckers.

Pete (or perhaps one of the Bloodsuckers) likes to take his lady to the movies to get snuggly in the dark, but will his girl settle for a sweet romantic story? Hell no! It takes the Wolfman, Frankenstein, Dracula, or the Creature from the Black Lagoon to get her in the mood. Man, can I relate to a frightening degree! This song is enough to make me believe in reincarnation. I don't think I was born when it was written, but clearly it's about me. I hope I knew how good I had it back when I could turn on the radio and hear songs like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment