Friday, October 21, 2011

T-minus 10

Holy crap, there are only ten days left until Halloween! That means I can only post ten more scary songs out of the dozens of great ones I've got laying around. There are some tough choices to be made in the days ahead, folks. Choices so tough that the only way I'll be able to live with them is to know that I can save all the leftovers for next October. One tough choice that has already been made, though, is what the final song will be for Halloween day. Any guesses? Neither I nor my pet amoeba will ever tell.

Anyway, we do have ten glorious days of October left and since today is Friday, that means it's time for a brand new theme weekend! After risking life and limb with zombies and vampiric horror hosts during the past two weekends, it's time to put our feet up with one of the friendliest monster families ever put on TV, The Munsters. While I also like The Addams Family, which ran during the same years as The Munsters, from 1964-1966, and was based on the classic Charles Addams New Yorker cartoons, I've always been more partial to The Munsters. Maybe it's because they were a little less affluent than the Addams and therefore seemed more approachable. Or maybe it's because I had quite an obsession with Lily Munster. I mean, look at her! She's beautifully ghoulish, and a great mom to boot.

I can think of no better way to kick off Munsters weekend than with their classic theme song, here performed by the surf rock group Los Straitjackets. While the theme was always a little surfy, this band takes it to another level and truly makes a rocker out of it. They're a good fit for the song because there's something a little Munsters-ish about always performing in Mexican wrestling masks. Over the past few years, they've also started employing The World Famous Pontani Sisters to go-go dance on stage during their shows. Obviously, their show is not one you want to miss!

The song itself is another taken from the Rob Zombie produced Halloween Hootenanny CD, which, as I said earlier in the month, is an inspired collection. Viva los Munsters!  

No comments:

Post a Comment