Saturday, October 28, 2017

Evil's my BFF

Give 'em the boot!
The second time this year that I got to see yesterday's band, The Bouncing Souls, was as part of a punk rock powerhouse tour with Rancid and the Dropkick Murphys. They played to a sold out crowd of churning mosh pits and epic mohawks in a Coney Island amphitheater this summer. Coney Island is one of my favorite places on earth at any time, but on a warm night with the boardwalk lit up, the ocean sparkling under moonlight, and some of the best punk rock to survive the 90s filling the air, it's truly magical.

Rancid's 1994 breakthrough album Let's Go came out when I was in high school, so because of some MTV exposure, they ended up passing through the small college town near where I lived in rural Virginia. They weren't my first concert, but they were my first punk show, so they will always hold a special, metal-spiked place in my heart. They've stayed together all this time, and have consistently released good albums of catchy, crunchy, politically relevant punk songs. 

Today's song comes from their 2014 album ...Honor Is All We Know. "Evil's My Friend" is more about real-world evil than anything supernaturally bad, but has some Halloween-suitable organ fills that wouldn't sound out of place in an Addams Family jam session.


 Skank, Lurch, skank!

No comments:

Post a Comment