Sunday, October 29, 2017

Shamrock 'n Roll

I didn't really know the Dropkick Murphys' music when I saw them this summer with the two other bands we heard from this weekend, Rancid and The Bouncing Souls, but I liked them more than I would have guessed. They put on a fun, rowdy show, with a sizable but endearing amount of Pogues worship. 

Other than being a good live band, however, several years ago they recorded a cover of "Halloween" by The Misfits, which makes me trust their taste and also makes them relevant to our purposes here. They get the gritty, steel-edged spirit of the song right, and their Celtic inclinations tie into the ancient Celtic origins of Halloween. It isn't really Halloween without a few dozen listens to "Halloween," so check out this version, but don't forget to balance it out with the original. Happy Samhain, witches! 


No comments:

Post a Comment