Saturday, October 7, 2017

Beware... take care.

Although known for their shiny happy dance songs and relationship ballads, yesterday's "King Kong Song" isn't the only Halloween-worthy song ABBA recorded. Hell, it's not even the only one to mention King Kong! 
Don't try at home--you must be double jointed.
And Hungarian.

"I'm A Marionette" is about being controlled by someone's will other than your own. It has an urgent beat and anxious key signature, a lyric about feeling out of place like King Kong, and was spooky enough for Ghost to cover on their 2013 Infestissumam album. 

Like ABBA, Ghost is Swedish, plus they're fairly poppy for a metal band, so maybe "I'm A Marionette" isn't so strange a song choice as it would at first seem. In fact, I might even say ABBA's version is spookier than Ghost's. Maybe it's because I expect Ghost to deliver the jitters, but it throws me off-kilter to hear Agnetha and Frida sounding so frantic. The lyrics also have an uncomfortable ring of truth, like: "I'm a marionette, everybody's pet, just as long as I sing." C'mon ladies, I'm sure the superstar life got rough, but please tell me it was more "Dancing Queen" than Puppet Master. Please? Please?!

Give both a listen and decide which one pulls your strings.


2 comments:

  1. I think I prefer ABBA's version. The juxtaposition of their pop feel and the song just works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree. It's a fun cover, but I'm such a huge ABBA fan, I don't think anyone can top them.

      Delete