Monday, October 27, 2014

Scaring the old fashioned way.

Since I missed posting a song yesterday due to an onslaught of awesome Halloween/horror-related events, today gets two songs. And to honor how much this song truly frightened me as a kid, I'm posting it at the stroke of the witching hour.

"Skin and Bones" is an old folk song that has seen many incarnations throughout the years, with changes in both lyrics and melody. One version is included in the first volume of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, but the one I know best is performed by legendary folk musician Jean Ritchie. I first heard "Skin and Bones" when my kindergarten teacher played it for our class before Halloween, and the "Boo!" at the end scared me so much that I dreaded going back to school the next day for fear she'd play the song again.

Jean Ritchie's plaintive voice builds just the right amount of woe and dread, and her "Boo!" is one of the best jump scares I've ever heard. It sounds like she even scares herself! Hope this one scars, er, I mean scares, you as much as it did me.


No comments:

Post a Comment