Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Take a ride on the wild side.

At the end of this year, Motley Crue will officially be retired, and after omitting them from this blog for the past five years, I'm finally ready to admit that I still love them as much as I ever did in 1990. I started high school a year after that and didn't feel comfortable admitting to my new punk/heavy metal/indie rock friends how much I loved glam metal, but I did and still do. For me, glam metal is a little mini-vacation to the Gravitron in my mind, where the air always smells like fried dough and the carny won't let you off the ride until you've spun both forward and backward.

Unfortunately I was never able to officially see Motley Crue in concert, but a few years ago I was wandering a cliffside promenade in Pittsburgh one summer night and heard the heavenly strains of "Girls, Girls, Girls" wafting across the river. Motley Crue was playing an outdoor arena show and when I put a quarter in the viewfinder, I saw Tommy Lee and his drumset traveling around a Super Loop track! It was like the constant carnival in my brain had manifested itself in the real world. I think hearing and seeing the band in such an unexpected place and way was even better than if I'd bought a front row ticket. A magical evening!

Today's song is my all-time favorite of theirs: "Shout at the Devil," from their 1983 album of the same name. Throw your devil horns in their honor while you listen. You're not too cool for it. \m/\m/

No comments:

Post a Comment